Saturday, September 3, 2011

Clothes Shopping

Getting new clothes is very expensive, and often impossible to pay for without an income. If you do have a little bit of cash you can always go shop at a discount store or thrift shop. Personally I don't want to spend any money on clothes, so I found other methods of acquiring them.

The first way is less than desirable, but its free. Go to a laundromat, college laundry room, or random apartment complex laundry room. Most laundry rooms that I went to in college or in apartment complexes, have a pile of unclaimed clothes pushed away in the corner. This pile is normally compiled of pieces of clothing that stuck to the inside of the dryer when someone was doing their laundry, and they left with their other clothes without realizing it. Take them. Yes, this is stealing, but its mostly like that the owner will never miss, and they will be thrown out if left unclaimed. With this method, you also need to get over the fact that your accepting clothes from a stranger. It's pretty easy to accept, if you consider that they were just washed.

The second method is my personal favorite, because it helps others and gets me brand new clothes. Get involved with your community. Look online or in newpapers and bulletin boards for community service opportunities. More often than not, if you are volunteering at a yearly or ongoing event you will get a uniform and a free meal just for helping out. Sometimes you get stiffed, but I have volunteered and walked away with a full stomach and a hoodie after only a few hours of work. It doesn't hurt to try. If you are homeless you probably have nothing better to do anyways.

The last method sucks and I haven't done it yet. Begging. I don't ever want to have to do this, but when winter comes around I may not have a choice. Survival is the most important thing, no matter how embarrassing it may be to beg. If you aren't prepared for a snow storm, and can't get to a warm place, you will freeze to death. Most people I have talked to think that people in a city won't freeze to death, but they do. When I was in highschool, I volunteered in a homeless community outreach project(irony) in Boston. I spoke to some cops who were telling me that every winter they get calls some mornings about citizens finding dead homeless people who froze to death over night. It really put things into perspective for me. I hate the idea that people will walk by someone who is freezing to death and just do nothing, but it happens. So lose that pride and beg if you have to, or you will die.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. please please don't take my clothes! it doesn't happen often, because i check very carefully, but have on occasion left something behind accidentally at a laundromat. i am tremendously grateful when i return to find them still there, because i own few clothes, and rarely have money to replace them.

    what if the person left them behind a few hours ago and just hadn't returned yet to get them? maybe they are in worse shape financially than you. just some thoughts when considering stealing....

    some laundromats, on the other hand, safeguard the "orphan clothes" and have a hold policy of several days, before they will send them to goodwill. they would likely be glad to have them taken off their hands. better karma that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been homeless, came close a few times, but always came out of it. So I may no be able to relate totally with you. And besides that I'm old and retired. We live in our RV which some people think is being homeless but it really isn't. It's the lifestyle we chose. Not an option for you. Have you heard about the Slabs in California? Might be something you want to check out. I will be following along with you to hear your stories and learn from your experiences. You are never too old to learn survival skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to get a voucher from the salvation army goodwill or a thrift store associated with a pantry. You can build a reliable wardrobe easy and free.

    ReplyDelete